Sunday, March 25, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent!

I made a small batch to try out a homemade laundry detergent in January and we are just nearing the end of it. We've been really pleased with it so far. We do a lot of laundry between the two of us and lots of blanket washings for the pups. Everything smelled clean but there was no real "scent". I came across this recipe on Pinterest that added to what we were already doing. The first load is in the washer now! All the ingredients combined cost $27. Based on the measurements and how much laundry we do per week, this should last us a year. This is a huge savings for us because we switched between two environmentally friendly brands (Sun & Earth and Seventh Generation) which we loved but were costly (around $15 a month). I bummed a feed bucket from dad and got started! It can be made fairly quickly. The longest part is grating the soap. Which wasn't bad on a day like today where you can sit outside and do it!



It takes about 1 tsp for regular loads and 2 tsp for more heavily soiled loads. Here is the link for the recipe I used.
http://www.howdoesshe.com/cheaper-and-better-diy-laundry-detergent
Go ahead, make your own, reduce waste, save money! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment