I've decided running a 5k is on my bucket list. I realize that may not seem like a big goal or accomplishment to many, but it totally is for me. I've never really done anything running related. The week before last Josh and I got started with just some running/walking. He was trying to coach me on how to jog without doing "heel strikes". That was kinda awkward. Everything I've ever done has been heel first...marching band (don't laugh- it's a sport!), lunges, etc. I was concerned about this since it creates a greater impact when you heel strike. Obviously with my back surgery and current neck ailments (blugh), I didn't want to put myself at risk to re -injure anything. SO....we worked on no heel strikes. A couple days after that....we worked on breathing techniques. NO huffing and puffing through your mouth. In through your nose, out through your mouth. Last week, I officially started a Rookie Running Program. the goal is to train for 8 weeks to complete a 5k. You gotta start somewhere. 8 weeks seems like a while but I'm on day 5 and have loved it so far. I have a 5k in mind for October but will hopefully find one sooner than that....after the 8 weeks anyway. I don't know that I'll be a "runner" but I definitely want to give it a shot and achieve a 5k. Here is the program I'm doing if you are interested...
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/training-program.asp?p=6
Wish me luck. I've got this!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment