Thursday, December 1, 2011

The weekend...

I love being off work! :) Thursday, actual Thanksgiving Day was spent enjoying chocolate gravy and biscuits for breakfast ( a family fav!!!) and working little busy bees on some of our Thanksgiving dishes.
Josh worked hard cleaning the floors and I made a chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, a cheese ball, chopped up some summer sausage and cheese and......gosh I don't know. We just worked. It was a fun day. Tiring, but fun. And productive! Friday we woke up early and prepped our turkey. Then we headed to Lexington to celebrate Sandy (Josh's mom) 60th birthday! Her siblings all came down to celebrate her. We had a great time, playing corn hole, singing, and just quality time with special people. Good times! I could hardly sleep Friday night. I like to think it was because I was "too excited" but I guess it could have been a variety of things! We got everything going around 8am. We planned on dinner around 12. Um....it was ready at 10:30!! We definitely learned a few things! But our food was great. The company was even better and we had a special celebration for Grandad who was turning 87 on Sunday.



Our great Uncle Vernon and Chad came to dinner and Uncle Vernon and Grandad had a great time getting to know each other. We took our family Christmas card pic with Chad's help. It was a beautiful day but seriously windy so many of them are full of random squinty eyes and some seriously wind blown hair. No sneak peaks though. Soon enough! Some of our menu included our organic local Heirloom Red Bourbon turkey, which was delish, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, toast, cranberry dish, stuffing.....hmm....what else. Nearly all dishes aside from the meat and obvious dairy were friendly to our vegan eaters and even our meat lovers couldn't tell the difference. We served some sparkling apple cider which i LOVE and my two best parts of the day......Bob, after eating some of these fantastic vegan chocolate chip made from scratch cookies said to us, "These taste just like my favorite ones from Whole Foods" (to which I immediately said, "Oh! that's going on the blog!" and when Uncle Vernon loved Grandma Holcomb's recipe of her famous chocolate pie to which he told me I was a good cook. I figured, he's 80, he's had some good cooking in his life! I was so excited. This was such a special day for us. We sat around the bonfire and just enjoyed some good ole family time. Great day. We are thankful all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment