Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Real Housewives of Woodstock

One of the fabulous ladies at church called Allison and I the real housewives of Woodstock after seeing our domesticated-ness on FB. Allison says, oh I wouldn't go that far. I say, absolutely. I'll take it! :) Here's what we've been doing!
This made the absolute BEST salsa ever. It is is so incredibly cheap. the Salsa that we usually buy cost $3.83 a jar. I think. We get Newmans. This cost the investment of the jars, which can be reused, a $2.50 box of tomatoes from Hillside Pantry (WOO!), a donation of tomatoes from Allisons' fantastic mom and the few dollars for the spic packet. It's seriously that good and easy folks. Before salsa making, I spent a few hours that morning picking my beans. In between our salsa cooking we broke beans. Lots and lots of beans.
The garden was certainly overgrown and weedy (whoops!) but had this gorgeous view. Could it get any better?
. A couple days later, Allison's mom (who is incredibly patient and such a good teacher) taught us how to properly clean, go through and can green beans. We were so excited, every time a lid popped and we knew it had sealed. It's the little things. :) And definitely on my Christmas list year....a pressure cooker. I told Josh by next year, the majority of our food will be either frozen or canned and our grocery trips will be severely limited. HA!
Her mama also taught us how to make fresh basil pesto and YUM!!! we tore leaves off fresh basil and put it in a food processor with some olive oil and almond slivers. We spread it over a garden fresh tomato with a slice of mozzarella cheese and OMG. DELISH! Ian, was a big help pushing the processing button. :)
A successful day of homemaking and very thankful for a fantastic friend and her wonderful mama to do things like this with! So it seemed very fitting when having dinner at Yamato with my BFF Dianna to get this fortune:
Right on Yamato. Right on.

No comments:

Post a Comment